The Dance That Walked Away
Posted by Maria Grujicic
It was long ago
Like a picture
In the middle of the night
Free for one
No where in sight
And I didn’t bow
My head held high
I was too late
To see my face
As the curtains died
And my dance walked away
In hope of another day
By Maria Grujicic
This poem is about stage fright, and timely for the theme of Carnival coming up in February. Watch the video and listen to the music along with the poem.
In different phases of my life I’ve had to get up and perform in one way or another. There were times when I wasn’t ready and I failed and this led the way for other days of triumphs! When I was 19 I went in a dance competition. I had the routine in my head and I practiced and practiced. As it turned out I wasn’t mentally prepared, and full of self-doubt I stood on the stage.
The music had started, and it was playing, but I froze. The music stopped, I look out at the audience, and at the people, and like a gentle appeal my eyes pleaded for mercy. And I simply walked away. After a few months there was another dance competition on.
Again I practiced and practiced, and I said to myself, ‘I’m going to get up there, do exactly what I’d planned.’ And the music played once more, and I did all the dance steps, resulting a win! It was the most amazing experience of my life, and unknown to me, a kind of life metaphor for more ups and downs to come!
- The Girl And The Orange (likeadance.wordpress.com)
- Albacete Manchegas (likeadance.wordpress.com)
- A Comfortable Sleep (likeadance.wordpress.com)
- Poems That Dance (prefacme.com)
- A Simple Trip To Belgrade (likeadance.wordpress.com)
- A Free Audio Of Poems That Dance Inspired By Life, Love & Travel! (poemsthatdance.com)
- Writing As I Ride My Bike (musicdforcommunication.wordpress.com)
- A Petaled Poet (poemsthatdance.com)
- A Poem And A Dance (poemsthatdance.com)
- A Poem And A Dance (poemsthatdance.wordpress.com)
- Hi There With News! (poemsthatdance.com)
- The Big Bad Auto & A Twist! (likeadance.wordpress.com)
- Stealing Hope (poemsthatdance.com)
- A Tiny ‘Crush’ Inside (musicdforcommunication.wordpress.com)
- Introducing Amazing Free Audios By Malena of Poems That Dance! (poemsthatdance.com)
- Why I Do Not Support Belly Dance Competitions (ruthnrena.wordpress.com)
- Sofia Me Ta Kitrina (likeadance.wordpress.com)
- Free Audio For The Book, The Thorn And The Petal (poemsthatdance.com)
- one LittLe cAterpillar MagicapLay! (onelittlecaterpillar.wordpress.com)
- The Dance That Walked Away (poemsthatdance.com)
- Talking Of Writing (prefacme.com)
- Finding Little V (likeadance.wordpress.com)
- The Witches & Wizards of Greece (likeadance.wordpress.com)
- The Dance That Walked Away (prefacme.com)
About Maria GrujicicMaria Grujicic was born in Darwin, Australia with a Greek family background of Kaylmnos, Greece, lived in London, Madrid, Albacete, and Frankfurt. With almost 20 years teaching experience including children and adults, she teaches Music and English. Her interests include dance, travel, photography, and she is a member of the Frankfurt Writer's Group.
Posted on January 6, 2012, in Poem for adults and tagged Carnival, choreography, Competitive dance, Dance, Dance competition, Maria Grujicic, metaphor for life, Performing Arts, philosophy, poem, poems that dance, spoken word, Stage Fright. Bookmark the permalink. 19 Comments.